Skip Navigation
Logo for Minnesota Association of Charter Schools

D. License Renewal FAQs

Home Media Article
D. License Renewal FAQs Image

Below are Frequently Asked Questions about the relicensure process and the MACS Relicensure Committee. If you still have questions after you have reviewed the FAQs below, please contact your school's relicensure representative or the MACS office at

1. How do I renew my Tier 1 or Tier 2 license?

The MACS Relicensure Committee only reviews Tier 3, Tier 4, and Administrative licenses. Please work directly with your school’s director for renewal of a Tier 1 or 2 license. Contact the Professional Educator Licensing & Standards Board (PELSB) with any questions about Tier 1 or Tier 2 licenses.

2. What specific trainings are required for renewal of a Tier 3 or 4 license?

In order to renew your Tier 3 or Tier 4 license, you must have documentation of the following trainings:

  • English Learner Needs

  • Mental Health

  • Suicide Prevention

  • Positive Behavior Intervention

  • Accommodations, Modification, or Adaptation of Curriculum

  • Reading Preparation

  • Cultural Competency

3. Are there any exemptions from any of the required training?

The following individuals are exempt from the Reading Preparation requirement:

  • School Counselors

  • School Psychologists

  • School Nurses

  • School Social Workers

  • School Speech-Language Pathologists

4. What counts toward the English Learner Needs requirement?

To meet this requirement, the training should specifically address strategies and practices to meet the needs of English Language Learners in their language acquisition and academic growth. A Cultural Competency course does not fulfill this requirement, nor does a training on language acquisition or early literacy that is not specifically focused on learners whose primary language is not English. The training must be at least one (1) hour in length.

5. What counts toward the Mental Health requirement? 

In accordance with MN Statute 122A.187, during the first renewal period candidates must take the "Key Warning Signs of Early Onset Mental Illness in Youth and Adolescents" training (sometimes called "Early Onset Mental Illness in Children and Adolescents"). In subsequent renewal periods, candidates may participate in a Mental Illness training on a different topic related to mental health. The training must be at least one (1) hour in length. 

6. What counts toward the Suicide Prevention requirement?

A training specifically on the topic of Suicide Prevention that meets the training criteria for suicide prevention adopted by the Professional Educator Licensing & Standards Board (PELSB). The training must be at least one (1) hour in length.

7. What counts toward the Positive Behavior Intervention requirement?

A training that explores best practices around using Positive Behavior Intervention Strategies to ensure schools appropriately meet the needs of individual students and ensure adequate progress toward the state's graduation rule. The training must be at least one (1) hour in length.

8. What counts toward the Accommodations, Modification, & Adaptation of Curriculum requirement?

A training that explores best practices around accommodating, modifying, and adapting curriculum, materials, and strategies to appropriately meet the needs of individual students and ensure adequate progress toward the state's graduation rule. The training must be at least one (1) hour in length.

9. What counts toward the Reading Preparation requirement?

Workshops, conferences, or onsite staff development and/or university courses reflecting comprehensive, scientifically based research in reading instruction, which may include one or more of the following:

  • Instruction and practice in phonemic awareness

  • Phonics and other word-recognition skills

  • Guided oral reading for beginning readers

  • Vocabulary instruction

  • Instruction in fostering understanding and higher-order thinking for readers of all ages and proficiency levels

  • Reading in the content areas

  • Specific reading strategies to impact comprehension

  • Current research and best practices in reading research and instruction

The training must be at least one (1) hour in length.

10. What counts toward the Cultural Competency requirement?

As of 2020, all tiered renewals are required to fulfill a Cultural Competency requirement according to MN Rule 8710.0310 Sub 1D. The MACS Relicensure Committee requires candidates to take a PELSB-approved course to meet this requirement. The course must be at least five (5) hours in length.

11. How recent do my CEUs need to be in order to be used towards my current license renewal?

According to Minnesota Administrative Rule 8710.7200, CEUs used for license renewal must be issued after the date the current license was issued. Candidates can look up their license history on the PELSB website to verify the date their current license was issued. 

12. Do I need to have CEU hours in various categories?

Yes! You must verify completion of experiences in two or more of the categories outlined in Minnesota Rules 8710.7200. See the Category Reference Sheet.

13. What information needs to be documented on my CEUs?

CEUs should be in the form of a certificate indicating the title of the workshop and/or conference, the date, the length of the session in hours, the presenter's name and signature, and your name.

CEUs from other areas, like coursework and volunteering, require other documentation.

14. What if I do not have acceptable CEU documentation for a professional development experience I participated in?

If you do not have acceptable documentation from a professional development session you participated in, you may have your school director complete the Professional Development Verification Form. This form is only to be used in cases in which acceptable documentation is not available and in which an Executive Director can verify your participation. Clock hours submitted using a Professional Development Verification Form are subject to MACS Relicensure Committee approval.

15. Should I submit more than the required hours for consideration?

We recommend that you submit more than the required hours if you have enough hours to do so. In this way, if the MACS Relicensure Committee does not approve some CEUs, you will have additional hours for consideration. This will help you avoid needing to compile more hours and resubmit to the Committee for the following meeting.

16. If I give a presentation on a topic within my license area, can I count those hours toward license renewal?

Not if it is part of your regular job duties or if you are being paid to give the presentation. If it is done in a volunteer capacity outside of your job duties, you can use any hours of presentation time as well as up to two hours of preparation time for every hour of presentation time.

17. How many hours do I get for college credit?

Each semester credit is worth 24 hours (i.e. a 3-credit semester class would be 72 hours). Each quarter credit is worth 16 hours (i.e. a 3-quarter credit class would be 48 hours).

18. Do I need to submit an original, official transcript of college coursework to the MACS Relicensure Committee?

Unofficial copies of transcripts are accepted.

19. How do I document multiple classes from one college transcript on the Master Record Form?

If you are claiming multiple classes from one transcript, you only need to submit one copy of the transcript, but you must list each class separately on the Master Record Form.

20. Can I receive CEUs for an audited course?

Yes - the MACS Relicensure Committee's policy is to allow up to half of the CEUs normally provided for “official” coursework (e.g. semester credits would be worth up to 12 hours per credit and quarter credits would be worth up to 8 hours per credit).

Clear documentation that you attended and completed the course (as an audit) must be presented. This is typically noted on a transcript.

21. Do any teaching duties count towards relicensure?

No. They are part of your job.

22. Do extra duties, such as developing teaching manuals or writing curriculum, count towards professional development clock hours?

Not if it is part of your regular job duties or if you are being paid to develop these materials. Volunteer hours devoted to such tasks count towards clock hours. Hours must be documented and signed by a school administrator. Candidates may claim a maximum of 30 hours for this work.

23. How many hours I can submit for service on a charter school board?

A maximum of 30 hours of service on a charter school board may be used for license renewal. As documentation verifying your service, a copy of the board minutes' attendance record, or a written letter signed by the board chair are accepted.

24. What is the limit on how many volunteer hours I can submit? How do I submit volunteer hours?

A maximum of 30 hours of volunteer work may be used for license renewal. According to state rules, volunteer hours need to be volunteer work in professional organizations related to the area of the candidate’s license.

To verify volunteer hours for approval, you will need to include a letter in your submission from the program supervisor verifying the hours and date range of service. The program supervisor has discretion in how this is documented. Below is an example of sample language that could be used:

Between the dates of (START DATE) and (END DATE), (NAME) volunteered with our organization. Duties included (BRIEF DESCRIPTION, JUST TO VERIFY IT'S RELATED TO EDUCATION OR THE CANDIDATE'S LICENSE AREA). The total hours spent volunteering were (HOURS, OR "MORE THAN 30 HOURS").

(NAME OF ORGANIZATION, or use official organization letterhead)

25. Can I earn hours for publication of professional articles in a professional journal? 

Professional publication can be credited for up to 30 hours toward license renewal. Publications must be related to teaching or your license area. In order to document your work, track your hours and submit them along with a copy of the article as published. 

26. Can I use hours spent formally mentoring another teacher or overseeing a student teacher?

 A maximum of 30 hours may be used for a formal peer mentoring experience or supervision of a student teacher.

27. Can I use hours spent on educational travel or work experience for license renewal? 

Anyone interested in using educational travel or work experience must have the hours pre-approved by the MACS Relicensure Committee. Submit the Travel/Work Experience Pre-Approval Form to the Committee at least one month in advance of your trip or work experience. When submitting your relicensure materials to the Committee for full review, you must submit the Travel Pre-Approval Form signed by the Committee along with a letter signed by your school administrator or the employer of the work experience verifying completion of your trip. A maximum of 30 hours of educational travel or work experience may be used for license renewal, but only if the Committee pre-approves the request as described above. 

28. If my name has changed and does not match the name on my teaching license, what should I do?

You may still submit your application to the MACS Relicensure Committee, just include a note regarding the name change. You will need to contact the Professional Educator Licensing & Standards Board (PELSB) to have your teaching license updated with your name change.

29. If I meet all requirements and amass all of my hours early, can I get relicensed early?

No. The earliest you can renew your license is January 1 of the year of expiration. 

30. Does the MACS Relicensure Committee consider both teacher and administrator renewals?

Yes. Administrators should first get their CEUs approved through the Minnesota Board of School Administrators (BOSA). From there, charter school administrators should submit their hours to the Committee to be counted and entered with the state. After the Committee has counted and entered your hours, administrators will finish this process by completing the online application with BOSA.

31. If I have both an administrator license and a teaching license, can I count my pre-approved administrator CEUs toward my teaching license as well?

Yes, you may count the hours that have been pre-approved by the Minnesota Board of School Administrators (BOSA) toward both your administrator license and your teaching license. You do not need 125 separate hours for your administrator and teaching licenses, but you will still need to meet all the requirements in the state-required areas for your teaching license.

32. If I have had some clock hours approved by another committee, how do I show this?

The previous committee is responsible for submitting notice to the Professional Educator Licensing & Standards Board (PELSB) regarding the hours they approved for you. When submitting remaining hours to the MACS Relicensure Committee, please indicate on your cover sheet that you have hours previously submitted.  

You may not submit hours to the MACS Relicensure Committee that have already been approved by another committee.

33. What is the fee for processing relicensure materials through the MACS Relicensure Committee?

Please refer to our Educator Relicensure page for fee amounts.

34. Who does the MACS Relicensure Committee serve?

Our Committee serves educators holding Tier 3 or Tier 4 licenses and administrators holding administrative licenses who are currently employed by a Minnesota charter school, whose last place of employment was a Minnesota charter school (including individuals who have retired or temporarily left the field of education), who currently work as contractors in a Minnesota charter school, and who are employed by an authorizer of a Minnesota charter school.

35. What happens and what should I do if my license has expired?

If your license has lapsed, you need to meet the criteria for renewal using professional development hours that have been earned within the previous five (5) years from the date of application for a Tier 4 or administrative license or the previous three (3) years from the date of application for a Tier 3 license. There are no other requirements to renew a lapsed license. 

36. How is renewal different if I am National Board Certified?

A local continuing education committee shall accept verification that a teacher is actively engaged in and making progress toward National Board of Professional Standards Certification or other national professional teaching certification approved by the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board at the time of renewal as equivalent to fulfilling all clock hour requirements for Tier 3 or Tier 4 license renewal. A local continuing education committee shall accept verification that a teacher has earned National Board or other approved certification as equivalent to all clock hour requirements during the life of the certificate. If the certificate expires during the applicable renewal period, the local committee shall prorate hours completed under this exception and require completion of a prorated number of clock hours for the years the certificate is not in effect. 

37. Are there alternative licensure options for school psychologists, nurses, and speech therapists?

School psychologists, nurses, and speech therapists can earn certification from the National Certification of School Psychologists (NCSP), the Minnesota Board of Nursing (click here for a list of recognized National Nursing Certification Organizations), and American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), respectively, and send proof of certification for the 5-year licensure period to the MACS Relicensure Committee. However, they must meet the other requirements established by the Professional Educator Licensing & Standards Board (PELSB) for those professions.

38. Why can't the MACS Relicensure Committee review my file right away?

The Committee has a set schedule of meetings throughout the year to review relicensure packets. Committee members are volunteer full-time educators at charter schools.

The MACS staff only processes the work of the Committee; the Committee makes all determinations.

39. When will I find out what happened with my file?

An email notification of the status of your submission will be sent to you within five (5) business days after the MACS Relicensure Committee's meeting.

When the Committee approves your materials, the next step will be for you to complete the online application for license renewal through the Professional Educator Licensing & Standards Board (PELSB). The MACS office will provide approved applicants with instructions for completing the online application.

If your file is not approved, you will receive instructions about what needs to be done to complete the file so that it can be reviewed by the Committee at their next meeting.

40. When can I fill out the online license renewal application on the PELSB website?

When the MACS Relicensure Committee approves your clock hours, MACS will send the approval of your hours electronically to the Professional Educator Licensing & Standards Board (PELSB). Only then will you be able to complete your application online directly through the state's website and pay the state's relicensure fee.

Any attempt to fill out the online application prior to approval by our Committee will delay your license renewal through PELSB.

41. What happens if the MACS Relicensure Committee does not approve my relicensure application?

Within five (5) business days of the scheduled Committee meeting, you will receive an email notifying you that the Committee has not approved your application. This email will indicate the reasons and will provide guidance on what you will need to resubmit. There is no fee for submitting additional documents and you do not need to wait until the next Committee meeting to do so.

42. Can I appeal the Committee’s decision not to approve Cultural Competency hours?

Yes – if your application is not approved due to not meeting the Cultural Competency requirements, you can appeal by providing evidence that the Cultural Competency training hours you completed follow MN Rule 8710.0310 Sub. 1D, which requires that you show evidence of self-reflection and discussion on each of the following topics in a way that deepens teachers’ understanding of their own frames of reference, potential bias in these frames, and the impact of bias on expectations for and relationships with students, students’ families, and school communities:

  • Racial, Cultural, and Socioeconomic Groups
  • American Indian and Alaskan Native Students
  • Religion
  • Systemic Racism
  • Gender Identity
  • Including Transgender Students
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Language Diversity
  • Individuals with Disabilities and Mental Health Concerns.

Evidence for an appeal must come in the form of presentation slides, a training/course syllabus, or other documentation that explicitly shows evidence of adherence to the law for each topic listed in law. All documents submitted for appeal must be separated, labeled, and organized in the following way for each of the nine (9) topics listed above:

  • Topic Covered (see above)
  • CEU(s) and/or Hour(s) on Topic Covered
  • Evidence (Presentation Slides, Training/Course Syllabus, etc.)
  • Date(s) of CEU(s) and/or Hour(s) Earned

If the submitted documentation addresses each topic and meets the appeal requirements, the MACS office will send the appeal documentation to the Committee to review along with the applicant’s initial relicensure submission. The determination will be communicated back to the applicant once the Committee has reviewed the applicant’s file in tandem with the appeal. If an appeal is unsuccessful, the applicant will be required to complete a PELSB-approved Cultural Competency course.

arrow icon pointing up Back to Top